LinkedIn is the largest professional networking platform and the #1 job search tool in the world. More than 130,000 recruiters use LinkedIn to search for potential candidates to fill job openings. Having an optimized profile and being an active participant on LinkedIn will increase your visibility and make it easier for recruiters to find you.
- Add a photo, preferably a professional headshot. This is vital to your job search.
- Use your profile summary section to introduce yourself to potential employers. Write it in the first person narrative, and let your personality shine through. Let people get to know you — but keep it strictly professional.
- Pack your profile with keywords from your resume so your profile will rank high among search results.
- Create a catchy headline that highlights the results you deliver and value you offer employers.
- Include a detailed employment history and add your education, your key skills and qualifications.
Having a strong profile is only part of the equation. Once you have built your profile, open up your privacy settings so that people can find you.
LinkedIn is a robust tool. Have fun with it. Online networking is a great way to build more connections and visibility. For even more LinkedIn tips, download our free e-book, “2013 LinkedIn Best Practices Guide.”
Next week I’ll discuss how to use the LinkedIn platform effectively to accelerate your job search results. Best of luck in your job search!Trish Thomas founded The Resume Resource in 2009 to help people develop the tools, strategies and confidence to build satisfying careers. As a Career Coach and Resume Writer, she helps her clients articulate their unique value to stand out from the competition, and guides them through the job search process to make it less overwhelming and more successful. www.the-resume-resource.com